To understand what web app development is, it’s best to start with the definition of a web app. Unlike website development, which focuses on creating interlinked web pages for a single domain name, web app development builds interactive pages that are stored on the internet where anyone can access them with a browser.
Though the two sound similar and are built with similar tools, there are key differences:
- Websites consist primarily of static content a user can view and read. They’re defined by their output.
- Web apps are defined by their input and might be referred to as websites with functionality and interactive elements, where users can view and read the content but also manipulate it.
Web App Development
Interactive web apps include everything from online contact forms to Gmail and Twitter. What they all have in common is they help users accomplish one or more tasks that go beyond simple upvotes and likes.
Mobile Web Apps vs. Native Mobile Apps
The debate over mobile web apps and native mobile apps is an ongoing one, with both having their benefits. Converting your existing website into native mobile apps is one of the fastest and most affordable ways to build a mobile app, but it also comes with drawbacks.
Web apps offer numerous advantages as they:
- Let you meet the expectations of modern consumers.
- Offer better mobile user experiences.
- Give you exposure to the app stores where many people search for solutions.
Mobile Web Apps
Mobile web applications are designed for mobile devices and only require a web browser to be installed on the device. They use various components, including HTML and Ajax, as well as RIA (rich internet application) technologies like JavaFX and Silverlight. Unlike native mobile apps, they aren’t written specifically for a device and so are not limited to the underlying platform for deployment.
Native Mobile Apps
Native mobile apps are built for specific platforms such as iOS and Android and use specific programming languages for each. Android apps are written in Java while Native iOS apps are written in Swift or Objective-C. Windows Phone apps are written in C#. They, too, have numerous benefits.
- They’re fast and responsive
- They make tapping into functions like cameras, microphones, and swipe gestures easier.
- You don’t need to compromise with UI/UX that you want to be user-friendly on all platforms.
Which type of mobile app you choose depends on what’s best for the intended business application. For instance, while mobile web apps are typically the most economical options and have the fastest time to market, they’re also more prone to security threats and require an internet connection for operation. Native apps, on the other hand, maybe more costly and slower to market, but they’re highly secure and best suited for long-term investments.
Benefits of Web App Development
Web apps have become an increasingly essential tool for businesses who want a better way to communicate with customers, collaborate with employees, and secure data storage. Custom web apps development services offer:
- Improved efficiency. By eliminating time-consuming and repetitive tasks, business processes are streamlined, and employees get more done in less time.
- 24/7 accessibility. Completely flexible and always up-to-date, web apps give users instant access to the latest data they need from nearly any device or browser.
- Higher security levels. Desktop-based software can leave data at risk and require reinstallation when compromised. Web-based apps have their data stored in the cloud.
Web apps are also easily customized and scaled, require less maintenance and support, and have lower tech requirements.
Tools Used in Web App Development
Our Agile approach to web app development includes research, analysis, design, programming, project management, frequent testing, implementation, adaptation, and maintenance. Because it emphasizes stakeholder collaboration, it mitigates failures and offers our clients greater flexibility in designing and changing the project’s scope.
To learn more or to talk with one of our experts, get in touch with Soft Suave today. We have the experience and expertise needed to take your web app development to the next level!