Non destructive testing has always been considered a very important aspect in both engineering and machining. Expensive equipment and parts which need to be developed to very tight tolerances need to be run through non-destructive testing processes. There is obviously cost advantage as testing an item by destroying means you drained so much money down the drain. Then there is of course the fact that finished, line production items will need to be tested before they can be used. Destroying such an item defeats the entire purpose. One common method of non-destructive testing is magnetic particle oil testing. In this process an electric current is run through the test subject after a magnetic particle carrier is spread over it.
Magnetic particle oil
When running magnetic particle testing using oil-based methods you need first undertake a few precautions to ensure your own safety as well as safety of other people and equipment around you.
- First of all, make sure that magnetic particle oil solution is of good quality. Low cost, low quality medium will not be able to give proper results.
- Second thing is you should do the testing in a clean, well lit area. There should not be any flowing items around you like metal foils or sheets.
- Third thing is that you should ensure that proper safety gear is available and in use. Rubber insulation gloves, working shoes etc, high visibility jackets should be used all people around testing area.
- Fourth thing is to ensure that if an item is too heavy, it should be handled by an appropriate number of people. Single person handling heavy weights is an absolute no-no in no destructive testing.
Magnetic Particle Carrier
Perhaps the most important aspect of oil-based non-destructive testing is that the medium should be chosen with extreme care and caution. Here are some tips which should help you choose the best oil based magnetic particle carrier medium.
- Ensure that the base oil is neither too thin, nor is it too thick. Getting the proper viscosity in the oil medium can have significant impact on result so better try different oil carriers in controlled environment.
- Try to make sure that the magnetic particle carrier is not easily flammable and has high flashpoint. Electric current passing through something can generate a lot of heat. If your medium is easily flammable, it can lead to serious burn injuries to those involved in testing.
- You should also ensure that the medium is compliant to specifications like ASTM E 1444, ASTM E 709, AMS 2641, NAVSEA 250-1500-1, NAVSEA T9074-AS-GIB-010/271 etc.
Finally, it is good to have an odour less carrier, since it will enhance employee experience.